INSET – 3rd May
Free Reading 10th May
- Introduce focus book.
- Read story on PPT.
- What does it mean to ‘predict’?
- Let’s look at the front cover of the book. What do we think the story is going to be about? Explain why.
- Look at the first page spread. What can you tell me about what you can see? What is the setting like? Which words or objects can you see in the illustrations that provide clues for your answer.
- Record predictions in books (draw/write).
- Share the story and then reflect on predictions offered.
- Recap story.
- What does it mean to ‘retrieve’?
- There are some clues in the text that tell you where the story is set – Javan Forest – where is that? Let’s Google!
- Questions: What does Ronald eat? Why is Ronald sad? Who does Ronald try to be like? Where do the animals take him to find his reflection? What is special about Ronald the Rhino?
- Record (differentiated questions) in books.
- Recap story.
- What do we think about when we look at ‘vocabulary’?
- When we read the story again, are there any words that we do not know the meaning of?
- Let’s explore the words; dusky, damp, trait, dense, admires, wail, chum.
- Consider the words used by the author – there’s lots of rhyming words – can you consider the rhyming string?
- Verbally share rhyming words and definitions of unknown words.
- Recap story. Recall the key events.
- What does it mean to ‘sequence’?
- Can we put the key events of the story into order from first to last?
- What are the key events in our story?
- Which happens first? What happens next? What happens last?
- Record sequenced events in books.